Prof. Dr. E.B. Perumal Pillai
Dean Human Resources Development
He is renowned for his tireless efforts and laurels
Prof. Dr. E.B. Perumal Pillai, His untiring efforts enabled Vel Tech to become a Member of Association of Indian Universities and was conferred with 2f status, empowered to award degrees under section 22 of UGC ACT 1956. He stressed the need for Vel Tech-Industry tie-ups as this collaboration, this would bring these two domains together to improve the employability factor of the students. In this mission more than 9 MoUs were signed with leading organizations. His strong commitment towards research is reflected in his contribution of more than 130 national and international publications.
His area of research includes the design of quake resistant structures that can withstand the seismic disturbances. He is actively involved in various research activities involving cutting edge technologies. He has numerous workshops/seminars/national and international conferences to his credit including the international conference on ‘INNOVATIVE AND SMART STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS FOR SUSTAINABLE HABITAT’ held at Coimbatore institute of Technology, Coimbatore in January 2008.
He is the Distinguished Member of the National Executive Council of Indian Society of Technical Education (ISTE) and member of various professional bodies such as American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Concrete Institute (ACI), Institution of Engineers (India) (Fellow), India Society of Earthquake Technology (ISET), NACE International India Section – Corrosion Society of India, Indian Concrete Institute (ICI) and Computer Society of India.
- Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Civil Engineering in 1982 from CIT, University of Madras, Chennai.
- Master of Engineering Degree in Civil Engineering (Structural Engineering with Computer Applications) in 1987 from CIT, Bharathiar University.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering in 1996 from Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) of Bharathiar University.
- He was the 1st Registrar of the state owned Anna University of Technology Madurai, established by the Act of Government of Tamil Nadu. Under his able leadership the Anna University of Technology Madurai became a front-runner in achieving laurels.
- He has over 33 years of rich experience in academic arena along with an Industrial experience at the Tamil Nadu Public Works Department.
- He started his illustrious career at the Coimbatore Institute of Technology, as a Lecturer and moved to the Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering.
- He was actively involved in the NBA accreditation, AICTE/UGC/DST/CSIR projects and is the member of Governing and Academic Councils of leading institutions.
- He has also served as the Director, School of Engineering and Technology, Karpagam University, Coimbatore
- Principal of RMK College of Engineering and Technology. He has served in countries like Ethiopia and Sultanate of Oman and visited Singapore for presenting a technical paper in the 23rd World Housing Congress in 1995.
Honors and Awards
- In recognition of his untiring service in the field of education, he was awarded the “ANNA UNIVERSITY NATIONAL AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING FACULTY”, from ISTE, New Delhi for year 2009.
- He was also awarded the EMINENT ENGINEER OF THE YEAR 2010-2011 by Institution of Engineers (India) (Kolkata), Madurai Local Centre.
- He has been conferred the “BEST ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATOR” award by the Association of Scientists, Developers and Faculties (ASDF), an international non-profit organization focusing on research and education.
- Under his able leadership as Principal, RMKCET has been awarded by the Indian Society for Technical Education, New Delhi.
- The Bharathiya Vidhya Bhavan National Award for an Engineering College having Best overall performance for the year 2015.
Prof. Dr. E.B. Perumal Pillai
Director Human Resources Development
Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr.Sagunthala R&D Institute of Science and Technology
No.42, Avadi-Vel Tech Road,
Avadi, Chennai-600 062,
Tamil Nadu, India.
Phone: 73388 03048