India’s first and only Aeronautical Engineering programme to get tier 1 (Washington Accord) Accreditation by NBA. Vel Tech Aeronautical department was established in the year 2007 with a vision to invest in graduates with core knowledge and skills required by Aeronautical Industries and Research Institutes. Student projects and research works are primly focused on unmanned aerial vehicles and their applications in the modern world and have won competitions in this field of study.
State of the art facility
The facilities are uniquely featured for students to learn the much sought after emerging Research areas in the field of aeronautical engineering. There are special labs like the aircraft simulator lab, rocket monitor testing lab, high-speed bearing testing lab and many more.
- Gas Turbine Research Establishment (DRDO)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- National Aerospace Laboratories
- Satish Dhawan Space Center (SDSC SHAR)
- UCAL JAP
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC)
- HAW Hamburg, Germany,
- IZFP – Fraunhofer, Germany
- MBDA Missile Systems, France
- NCKU , Taiwan
- Tamkang University , Taiwan
- Air Craft Simulator Lab
- Center for Autonomous Systems Research
- High Speed Bearing Test Facility Sponsored By DRDO, Govt of India
The programme courses are taught by Industry associated experts from HAL, NAL, GTRE, and ISRO. Experts in the field of aero are invited for lectures from ISRO-SHAR in Sriharikota, Trivandrum ISRO-VSSC, NAL & HAL of Bengaluru. They experts invest knowledge to the young student engineers of Vel Tech. The students are encouraged to undertake regular industrial visits. Guest lectures are a regular practice of the curriculum. The student work on developing modules for PICS SATELLITE WITH JOINT SUPPORT by the Vel Tech and Institution of Engineers (IEI) was much appreciated.
- Pursue higher education, research and development in aeronautical and allied domain
- Practice aeronautical engineering / chosen profession in industries and organizations
- Solve real world complex problems with social, ethical and business awareness.
The Program provides opportunities for the Students to achieve the following Outcomes
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes:
- Engineering knowledge & Complex Problem analysis: Apply mathematical and numerical skills to interpret and solve problems for Aircraft Design and for applying core knowledge in aerodynamics, structures, propulsion, dynamics and control to formulate and solve problems in engineering, including the use of current experimental and data analysis techniques
- Design & Development of Solutions: Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for aerospace engineering practice.
- Aircraft Systems Laboratory
- Aircraft Systems and Instruments Laboratory
- Aircraft Structures Laboratory I
- Aircraft Structures Laboratory II
- Structural Health Monitoring Laboratory
- Aircraft Structural Mechanics Laboratory
- Avionics Laboratory
- Aircraft Structural Analysis Laboratory
- Computer Aided Engineering Laboratory
- Computational Methods for Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory
- Aerodynamics Laboartory
- Propulsion Laboratory
- Aero Engine Maintenance and Repair Laboratory
- Aircraft Structures Repair Laboartory
- Flight Mechanics and Control Laboratory
- Strength of Materials Laboratory
- Thermodynamics Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Laboratory
- Numerical Methods Using MatLab
- Gas Turbine Engines
- Jet Propulsion
- Micro Air Vehicles Systems
- Rocket Motor Testing