Vel Tech Mechanical Engineering department is the first in South India to get accredited by NBA TIER 1 accreditation in B.tech programme. The Department started was in the year 2001, and nurtures graduates who can meet the rapidly changing needs of the mechanical core Industry which requires skillful Mechanical Engineers. The department pioneers to develop Mechanical engineers in the latest trends in the fields of composites, mechatronics, and nanotechnology. Students have competed and won various awards like the Euro Brake award, Aegis Graham Bell Awards etc.
M.Tech. – Industrial Safety & Engineering
M.Tech. – Machine Design
M.Tech. – Thermal Engineering
M.Tech. – Metallurgical & Material Science
M.Tech. – Robotics
M.Tech. – CAD/CAM
Ph.D. – Mechanical Engineering (Full Time and Part Time)
State of the art facility
The Mechanical engineering department has an ambience and specialized laboratories like Automotive Engine Test Facility supported by ARAI, Pune, High Speed Gas turbine bearing test facility Supported by DRDO, Advanced Materials lab supported by Rane Valves, E-waste management facility by DST, Govt of India, Composite Research lab for New material research supported by DST. The vital state of art of research facilities gives students and faculty with opportunities to create, interpret, apply and disseminate knowledge with use of modern tools, equipments, and software.
- Addison & Co
- Greaves Cotton
- Ashok Leyland
- Simpson and Co Ltd.,
- GARC – NATRIP
- Frauhofer IZFP, Germany
- INSA, France
- National Tainan University, Taiwan
- National Cheng kung university, Taiwan
- Tamkang University, Taiwan
- Technical University of Braunshweigh, Germany
- Computer Aided Simulation & Analysis Laboratory
- Mechatronics & Robotics Laboratory
- Engineering Metrology and Measurements Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics and Machinery laboratory I
- Fluid Mechanics and Machinery Laboratory II
- Strength of Materials Laboratory I
- Strength of Materials Laboratory II
- Computer Aided Drawing Laboratory
- Thermal Engineering Laboratory
- Heat and Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Dynamics of Machinery Laboratory
- Manufacturing Technology Laboratory I
- Machining and Machine Tool Technology Laboratory
- Computer Aided Manufacturing Laboratory
- 3D Printing Lab
- Automotive Engine – Test Facility
- Centre for Autonomous System Research (Joint Funded R & D Project on Micro Ornithopter)
- Center for Design, Engineering and Manufacturing (CDEM)
- Composite Materials Lab
- High Speed Bearing Test Facility
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Lab
the programme curriculum has been devised to cater to the continually changing desires of IT Industry. The department was appreciated by the CSIR for the students’ contribution towards the e-Governance Projects. The department has established a Cyber Security in association with IBM India Pvt. Ltd., Students of this department are undertaking advanced courses offered by CISCO, Microsoft, RedHat, IBM, and EMC2. Students are well placed in the top MNCs such as TCS, Wipro, CTS, IBM, Infosys, HCL, Hexaware, Tech Mahindra, Steria etc., Students were selected for Internships at CSC, Mahindra EPC, CSIR, TCOE, HP etc., Innovative Ideas of the students won many awards such as Microsoft Imagine Cup.
The graduates of the program are able to meet the required expectations by delivering one or more of the following parameters within few years after graduation:
- Apply modern analytical, computational, simulation tools and techniques on engineering materials, thermal sciences, applied mechanics and manufacturing methods to address the global challenges faced in mechanical and allied engineering streams.
- Adapt new and recent techniques of engineering science and their applications to conceive, organize and develop the design of engineering systems.
- Work as an individual and in teams on multi-disciplinary assignments in industries, research organizations and academic institutions both in national and global level through collaboration.
- Demonstrate techno-commercial skills such as research interest and entrepreneurial ability in students to cater the societal problems.
The Mechanical Engineering Program Students will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Mechanical Engineering Program students will be able to:
- Apply their knowledge in the domains of design, manufacturing and thermal sciences to solve engineering problems using advanced technology.
- Engage professionally in industries or as entrepreneurs by applying innovative ideas in design and manufacturing using modern CAD/CAE/CAM tools.
- 3D Printing
- Advanced Materials
- Bio fuels
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Heat transfer
- Micro Air vehicles for Defense applications
The training sessions organized by Vel Tech is the keen key for my selection process in Capgemini, It has been a great journey. Looking eagerly to face the corporate world, Thank you all.
I am thankful for the opportunity of having the sip into the great fountain spring of knowledge. I will ever remain grateful to Vel Tech. I assure to do my best in the world.
Vel Tech has groomed me to be better than what I was earlier. I am thankful that I got placed in one of the top core companies, finally my dream has come true. Once again on behalf of my family I thank all the faculty of Vel Tech.
I am so happy that I have taken the best choice for my career. A series of mock tests and interviews conducted by the DCC helped us to gain confidence. They took special care to cater to our needs by being available to clarify any doubts or confusion. Overall, the placement experience was very satisfactory.