Department of Physics
Envisioned as a department for outstanding research and teaching by endorsing excellence in laying a strong foundation and empowerment in Physics towards innovative scientific inventions.
Providing quality scientific and technical education, training through theoretical and experimental methods, and imparting the fundamental constituents of Physics. Offering knowledge to examine the laws which govern real-time problems. Preparing students to face the challenges of contemporary scientific developments and disseminating state-of-the-art training in Physics incorporated with the current research.
About the Department
The goal of our department is to develop the well qualified outstanding students. Various innovative Physics projects have been included in the laboratory curriculum based upon the course and program outcomes.
The department comprises qualified and goal oriented faculty members whose research expertise include major frontiers areas. Currently the department has 22 doctorates including 3 post doctorates. The department has 1 Professor, 5 Associate Professors (NET cleared – 1), 18 Assistant Professors (NET cleared – 1, SET cleared – 1, GATE cleared – 2) and 3 Lab Instructors.
- M.Sc. Physics
- Ph.D. Physics
- Vibrant, talented, and passionate faculty members.
- Well-equipped modern research laboratories with state-of-the-art facilities.
- Learning-centeredapproach followed through active learning methods like Jigsaw, One Minute Paper, Gallery Walk, etc.,
- The Department also supports the Freshman Engineering students by offering
- Semiconductor Physics
- Physics of Materials
- Applied Physics
- Modern Physics Laboratory
- Applied Physics Laboratory
- Universal Human Values
- The curriculum for M.Sc. Physics program has been developed on the basis of the UGC Model Curriculum and the syllabus for the UGC-Net Examination with a choice-based credit system in 2019 with a maximum intake of 30 students.
- The program is designed to serve as a certified qualification to both students aspiring for an autonomous degree as well as for those who intend to advance in the field of research. It is premeditated, keeping in mind the existing importance of Physics and also the emerging new fields of Physics and Materials Science. This provides the knowledge, understanding, research materials, opportunities, skills, and techniques for undertaking the program efficiently. It ultimately aims to produce highly efficient post-graduates, who can accomplish a wide range of expertise in the subject.
- The department comprises well-qualified and goal-oriented faculty members with many doctorates, whose research expertise includes major frontier areas. To strengthen the efforts of ensuring employability, the Department proposes to hold annual meetings of Industry – Institute Joint Consultation to identify the specific needs of the industry and update the syllabi accordingly. In an effort to achieve 100% placement, the department endeavors to prepare the graduates skillful and endurance.
- B.Sc. degree in Physics discipline with a minimum aggregate score of 50% marks.
Duration: 2 years
The Department has multidisciplinary and interfacial research and offers teaching activities in diverse fields ranging from Nanoscience, Photonics, Quantum Mechanics, Particle Physics, and Condensed Matter Systems. The department offers active research programs to train Ph.D. scholars in the above fields of Physics. The department aims to help deepen scholars’ insights into their own experiences and to develop their ability to express their ideas through their presentations and publications.
It has twelve authorized research supervisors with strong research backgrounds. Ph.D. scholars have been pursuing research since the inception of the department in 2008. The faculty members of the department have published more than 180 research papers in various peer-reviewed international journals, five textbooks, and three patents during the last five years. The department also has research collaborations with International Universities & reputed national Institutes like IITs, NITs, and various Central Universities.
The department organizes specialized lectures of eminent scholars from time to time. The department also organizes workshops and short-term courses from time to time.
The department offers high-tech facilities for performing advanced experiments such as Electron Spin Resonance, Dielectric Constant Measurements (solids and liquids), Hall Effect, Interferometer, etc.
| Research Articles
(SCI + Scopus)
|Highest i-10 index||23|
|Research Supervisor Details|
|S. No.||Name of the Research Supervisor||Designation||Specialization|
|1||Dr. D. Senthilkumar||Associate Professor & Head||Radiation Dosimetry|
|2||Dr. S. Mani Naidu||Professor||X-ray Crystallography|
|3||Dr. R. Gowri Shankar Rao||Associate Professor||Sensor Instrumentation, Renewable Energy, Embedded Application, Medical Electronics, DSP|
|4||Dr. J. Gajendiran||Associate Professor||Semiconductor Nano Materials, Crystal Growth, Thin Film|
|5||Dr. A. Prabakaran||Associate Professor||Spectroscopy, Computational Method|
|6||Dr. C. Sarala Rubi||Assistant Professor||Drilling, Optimization, Thermoelectric Materials, WEDM|
|7||Dr. Parthasaradhi Reddy||Assistant Professor||Spectroscopy, Thin films|
|8||Dr. Pradeep Reddy Vanga||Assistant Professor||Multiferroics, Photocatalysis, Nano materials|
|9||Dr. M. Rigana Begam||Assistant Professor||Thin Films, Crystal Growth, Nano Materials Synthesis|
|10||Dr. V. Kamalakar||Assistant Professor||Atmospheric Sciences|
|11||Dr. S. Sridhar||Assistant Professor||Nano Science, Photocatalysis, Dye Sensitized Solar Cell|
|12||Dr. J. Paul Praveen||Assistant Professor||Piezo Electrics, Magneto Electrics, Multiferroics, Ceramics|
"The department has an excellent infrastructure to engage the PG program in Physics."
It has the facility for synthesizing Nanomaterials and major equipment for the PG lab like ESR, Dielectric constant measurements (solids and liquids, Hall Effect, Interferometer, etc. "
Our library supports the research and educational activities of the members of the department of Physics. Currently, we have 555 textbooks in Physics and related disciplines."
Central Government Jobs after accomplishing M.Sc. Physics
There are many research institutes in our country that require professionals in the field of Physics. Like
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC),
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO),
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO),
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC),
- Solid State Physics Laboratory (SSPL),
- Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), etc.
take students from M.Sc. Physics very frequently. On top of this, the UPSC, CSIR-UGC, SSC etc., carry out entrance exams for the recruitment of qualified candidates into various departments of the government. In addition to this, candidates with M.Sc. Physics can also appear in the Civil Service exams.
There are many opportunities for the bright future of students after qualifying M.Sc. in Physics which are as follows:
- Research Analyst is one of the prospering careers after M.Sc. Physics. A research analyst interprets and presents data related to the marketing conditions and work operations of an organization.
- A Medical Physicist works in the health care sector and implements their knowledge of Physics in the development and utilization of medical treatment radiation, technology, and devices.
- Another exciting career option after M.Sc. Physics is Research Scientists. A research scientist analyzes information and creates designs for controlled laboratory-based investigations, trials, and experiments.
- An Assistant Professor teaches the specialization subjects to students at various educational institutions or universities. They create several educational assignments and project work for students and analyze their knowledge.
- A Technical officer is responsible for maintaining all the aspects of research laboratory work including recording data and maintaining equipment for R&D commitments.
- Research officer is an enhancing career after M.Sc. Physics. A research officer is responsible for supervising research projects to accomplish specific objectives. This is one of the most reputed MSc Physics jobs.
Teaching Profession in Government Sector after M.Sc. in Physics
- Candidates can seek employment with different universities that are recognized and approved by the government of India. A number of universities like the University of Kerala, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Osmania University, Mahatma Gandhi University, Delhi University, Pondicherry University, Central University Thiruvarur etc., take M.Sc. Physics graduates as lecturers if they have cleared NET.
- Candidates who have a B.Ed. degree can go to a teaching career in schools. As one might know, an M.Ed. degree alongside NET/SLET is required for candidates to apply for teaching posts in Colleges or Universities. After securing any of the government jobs, the candidates can, later on, appear for department tests. This way, they will get promoted to higher positions.
|Dr. SENTHILKUMAR. D||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR & HEAD|
|Dr. MANI NAIDU. S||M.Sc., Ph.D.||PROFESSOR|
|Dr. GOWRI SHANKAR RAO. R||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR|
|Dr. GAJENDIRAN. J||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR|
|Dr. PRABAKARAN. A||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR|
|Dr. RAJESH KUMAR. U||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR|
|Dr. C. SARALA RUBI||M.Sc., M.Tech., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. PARTHASARADHI REDDY||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr.PRADEEP REDDY VANGA||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. RIGANA BEGAM. M||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. KAMALAKAR. V||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. SRIDHAR. S||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr.PAUL PRAVEEN. J||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. POTLAKAYALA PRAMEELA||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. MONISHA. S||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. SARANYA. A||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. JAYAPRAKASH. K||M.Sc., M.Tech., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. BOOBALAN. K||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. MOHANRAJ. P||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. ASHOK. A||M.Sc., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. YUVARAJ. S||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|Dr. THIRUNAVUKKARASU. M||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|KARTHIKEYAN. M||M.Sc., M.Phil.,||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|VINOTH. C||M.Sc., M.Phil.,||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
Dr. D. Senthilkumar,
Associate Professor and Head ,
Department of Physics,
School of Sciences and Humanities,
Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr. Sagunthala R&D Institute of Science and Technology,
Avadi, Chennai-600 062.
Email id: [email protected]
Mob. Ph. No.: +91 9962366291