PURSUE YOUR CREATIVE PASSION
The School of Media Technology & Communication is an ideal training ground for media aspirants. The School caters to the increasing need for creative media professionals by offering a plethora of opportunities to learn and grow. Keeping abreast with the changing media environment, there is an increasing emphasis on hands-on-training and project based learning in a conducive environment in order to instill professionalism from the day one. With cutting-edge curriculum, learner-centric pedagogy, state-of-the-art facilities and expert guidance, students actively engage in producing creative work par excellence.
Hands on Experience
The state-of-the-art infrastructure facilitates creative production in a dynamic learning environment. An array of media genres are continuously produced in the shooting floors, edit suite, sound design studio, multimedia laboratory, Chroma floor and photography studio.
The pedagogy adopted ensures quality education under the guidance of qualified professionals using the latest technology. Students are encouraged to work on independent and collaborative projects which will help them to develop an eye for detail and a vision to be responsible media producers with utmost creative freedom and sensitivity. The students are enriched with a curriculum that gives them the cutting-edge advantage in the media sector globally. The courses are structured encompassing theory, process, technology and practice. A combination of graphic design, fine arts, photography, multimedia, web design and film-making courses are offered in the under-graduate level. The programme B. Sc. Visual Communication emphasizes on advertising, film making, photography and art direction. The programme B. Sc. Multimedia concentrates on 3D character modeling, visual effects, rigging and animation. To bridge the gap between industry and academia, students also engage in seminars, workshops, field visits and internships to understand the industry. Recognizing students as budding media professionals, the curriculum strengthens their interest in media entrepreneurship, an ever-dynamic and challenging media sector as well as higher education.
After 3-5 years from the year of graduation, our graduates will,
- Have strong foundations in creative, analytical and technical fundamentals necessary to formulate, analyze and solve communication problems.
- Have an exposure to a variety of media genres, content production and distribution techniques in a competitive media environment.
- Demonstrate the impact of media on the society along with ethical, social and professional responsibilities/implications of their work.
- Have strong communication skills, ability to work in multicultural contexts and to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams.
- Engage life-long learning to become successful in their professional work.
Visual Communication & Multimedia Graduates will develop:
- Current affairs knowledge: Apply the knowledge of current affairs to issues pertaining to media, culture and society.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex communication problems reaching substantiated conclusions.
- Lateral Thinking: demonstrate the ability to think critically, creatively and independently.
- Creative Expression: acquire literacy in visual and emergent media forms and communicate correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for scholarly research as well as the communication professions, audiences and purposes they serve.
- Modern tool usage: demonstrate an understanding of current media technologies and their capabilities, limitations and implications from multiple perspectives, including that of producer, participant and audience.
- Media and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to legal, historical, sociological, political and economic foundations of media institutions and thus understand the centrality of media for citizenship and social justice in a democratic society
- Media and sustainability: Understand the impact of the communication solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of media practice and thus become ethical and responsible cultural producers
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Media Production: Comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, give and receive clear instructions, and curate content across media genres specific to the creative brief.
- Media Analysis: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the various genres and analyze media in production, audience, textual and historical frames
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of communication and technological change.
I have embarked on a new path in media studies in a disciplined manner, I have identified my passion is in Visual Effects with the support and guidance from my faculty members.
I like the friendly atmosphere here and the fact that the teachers are approachable at all times. Their way of teaching is really interesting. We are enthused by the classes. My grades have gone up as our teachers give individual attention on each student. Every project is given equal importance and we are encouraged to strive for excellence.
At the end of my first year, I was confident enough to produce a documentary and submit the same to International Film Festival of Kerala 2017. Though I was going to learn the nuances of film making only in the higher semesters, my department supported me in my maiden endeavor in terms of creative and technical aspects. With the constant support of the media department, my second film “Drupada” won the prize for Best Editing in an intercollegiate media fest.
Our department concentrates on educating us in a creative manner and strengthening us technically.