It’s a well known habit of most of the youngsters to copy the resume of their peers and just tweak their personal and educational details. Let’s look at this from a HR/recruiters perspective. The first thing a recruiter gets to know about you is through your resume. An appealing resume will result in an interview call. If the resume is similar to any tom, dick and harry, it will only be trashed and be forgotten.
The very thought of writing a resume daunts many. The anxiety of writing the resume wrong overtakes the mind. However, a good resume could even be the difference between success and failure in landing to your dream job. Here are some tips to help you write a quality resume.
- Determine your job search objective. Consider it as the bull’s eye your hitting to impress the reader. If you write your resume without a clear objective in mind, it will also across as unfocused to those who read it.
- Your resume is a marketing tool. Think of yourself as a product and employers as your customers. Highlight your features, benefits, accomplishments and what makes you unique in a clear and concise format.
- Have the perspective to build the resume to obtain an interview; good performance at the interview will get you the job.
- Use bulleted short sentences rather than lengthy paragraphs. This format is easier for someone to quickly scan the resume and still absorb it.
- Mostly resumes are reviewed in 30 seconds; bold the sentences that talk about your strengths. Put those strong points first where they are more apt to be read.
- Use the employer’s expectation as the keyword to structure the resume.
- Accent your positives. Leave off negatives and irrelevant points.
- Preferably, limit the length of your resume to 1-2 pages.
- Ask a friend to take an eagle view on your resume; their views can help you make constructive changes.
Now that you have a quality resume, take the chance and put it to use.
For further assistance on writing a quality resume, Veltechians can contact their placement department.
Digital Marketing Team,
Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr.Sagunthala R&D Institute of Science and Technology